Who We Are
The Carlinville Public Library is located at 510 North Broad. The library provides free services to all residents living within the Carlinville city boundaries with services available to all others for a fee.
The Illinois lilbrary system holds over 425,615 materials including over 394,000 books, and 28,000 CDs, DVDs, books on cassettes and CDs. Over 315 CD-Roms are also now available for check-out.
In total, over 3 million items were checked out of the system during fiscal year 2009-2010! In addition to these items, thousands of people entered the library to utilize print and electronic reference resources, access the Internet through the library's fiber-optic connection, enjoy state-of-the-art Wi-Fi service, view a llibrary exhibit, or attend one of the library's many events.
Our friendly and professional staff is eager to serve you. Welcome to the Carlinville Public Library!
It is the mission of the Carlinville Public Library to increase usage of our beautiful facility by providing books, materials, and services to support the educational enrichment of the community, recreational reading, and to introduce children to the world of books.
The first meeting of the Library Society was held on January 1, 1870. With $400.00 in the treasury, the Society opened Carlinville's first library in the Good Templar's Hall (126 E. Main St.). Later in the year it was moved to the basement of the Macoupin County Courthouse.
Miss Susan Dick was Head Librarian from March of 1877-February of 1884. When Miss Dick died in 1914, she left the Society a plot of land and $8000.00. She asked the Society to build "a good substantial building, the outside of pressed bricks,two stories high, with modern improvements, basement, and a handsome front." This building is located at 112 East First North Street.
In 1927 the society gave the library to the City of Carlinville.
The Head Librarians since then have been: Elizabeth Deadrick (1927-1962), Virginia Surman (1962-1976), Iris Zimmer (1976-1995), Elizabeth Kaburick (1995-2007), and Janet Howard (2007-).
The library was moved to its present location, 510 North Broad Street, in 1997. A flatbed truck and multiple cars were used to move the boxes of books and other items. At that time the library had about 25,000 books. The library now has more than 37,000 items in its database.
Local artist, Nan Steinmeyer, painted the mural that is the backdrop of the stage located in the children's section. The mural follows the tale of her Doberman puppy's adventures after she falls into a magic hole. To see this mural, click on "Kids & Teens" in the Navigation box.